[rules-users] Stateless or stateful knowledge session in drools server

Tim Slonaker tslonaker+drools at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:27:24 EST 2013

Hello all,

I am new to drools.  My company is looking into switching from a commercial
rule engine to drools.  Our existing codebase is .net not Java.  We are
trying to integrate drools into our existing .net application by calling
into a drools-server using it’s restful interface.

Our current rule engine only works in a stateless mode so I am trying to
figure out how to get drools-server to work in a stateless mode.  I have
posted before that I have been having difficulty using a stateless session
with ruleflows (
http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/Ruleflow-not-working-with-stateless-session-in-drools-server-5-5-0-Final-td4021624.html).
I have noticed that the stateful sessions seem to work fine as far as
ruleflows are concerned.  I am wondering if I can use a stateful session
instead of stateless.

Our application could have 100s of unique users per minute.  The rule
engine provides a unique decision for each user based on their specific
data.  So, each user’s data / facts should be isolated.  There can’t be any
data sharing between users, that would make the rule engine decisions
invalid.  How would I configure a stateful session to work in this
scenario?  Is it possible?

Thanks,

Tim S.