[rules-users] DSRL rule access in web editor

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Thu Jan 24 13:03:55 EST 2013

Hi there,

Have you tried the guided rules editor in Guvnor yet?

If as a technical user, you spend time writing up a nice DSL, the Guvnor guided editor will let you pick the DSL phrases you configured and generate the DRL off the back of it.

For a simple example:
http://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/5.5.0.Final/drools-guvnor-docs/html_single/index.html#d0e1009

You should find that where you have put a placeholder for an enumeration, the Guvnor guided editor will generate a drop-down list of the enumeration values.

On my current project, I have a legal team and an operations team, with users maintaining rules in Guvnor. Some of the simplest rules are written in the guided rule editor based on DSL that I have written. Some more complex rules involve me trying to keep the fact model as simple as possible, and the users are then able to add constraints themselves. It took a little bit of training, but they're pretty happy with knocking up rules now. There's no way they could have done it without training though.

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to enable users to build rules completely safely within Guvnor. It's a bit too powerful for that. You may need to think about test harnesses to protect the application. If you're after completely safe rules development, with no training, I reckon you would need to write up your own application-specific interface, rather than use Guvnor.

Steve