[rules-users] JBoss Drools evaluation

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Jul 8 08:07:44 EDT 2013

On 8 Jul 2013, at 08:03, Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's "Rete", not "Reto". Being Rete-based is reportedly disappearing with 6.x.
>
> I'm not sure what sort of criterion the "graphical representation" of rules should represent. There is a way for displaying the Rete network resulting from a rule, but it's not something over which a user like a "business analyst" would get all excited.
>
> Some backward chaining functionality is indeed available, although it cannot be compared with what you have in, say, Prolog.
that might be an undersell. We do full derivation tree's, as per prolog. But we take this a step further, and have fully reactive derivation trees - which most prolog systems does not have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCjIRVSRFvA

The prolog features we do not have are:
cut
List unification.
Unbound properties  for fact instances. So that it unifies against the property.
Expressions for arguments in unifications.

Mark