[rules-users] Drools Fusion Dropping Events?

Jason Barto jason.p.barto at gmail.com
Wed May 15 18:53:23 EDT 2013

I've been working to load test Drools 5.3 to determine if its a fit for a
project.  As part of the test I programmatically insert events as rapidly
as possible; an example, my earlier test inserted 10k events in about
300ms.  There is currently a single rule which reads the event and stores
the event's value into the only fact in Drools. I'm very happy to report,
and I'm sure it will be no surprise to anyone, that the engine processes
all the events in roughly 1 sec. However I have noticed that any large
number of events (~>1000) usually sees that a small number of events don't
get processed. I think after 10k events as many as 7 appear to have gone
unprocessed. If 100 events are inserted, rather than 10k, no events get
disregarded.  Being new to Drools I can easily accept that my java code or
DRL code is off or unoptimized in some way. However not knowing how Drools
does its magic I'm currently inclined to think that Drools gets swamped
(10k in 300ms is a lot) and a few events get dropped so Drools can keep
operating. Is this a known or expected behavior from Drools? If not I am
happy to post my code, it is similar to the other code sets I've posted in
the last few days. I'm still new to Drools and trying to learn its behavior
so any insight or enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jason