[rules-users] Best practices to hand over from dev to business

djb dbrownell83 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 11 07:17:25 EDT 2014

Hi,
So I've worked with Drools v5 on a few projects, and made the move to v6
yesterday.

My programs typically have a model of pojos, plus some service utilities
that do the stuff that's easier in Java than in Drools.

I have implemented the system with DRLs and agenda groups, and one of the
next steps is to hand over to business. My comments will allow a junior
developer to maintain the program, but you'd be surprised how non-technical
the business users can be. They won't touch code.

So I'm hoping that Workbench will be what I need to facilitate the
transition.  With Drools 6, I've separated my web app from the DRL files,
which now reside in their own mavenized Jar.

Deployment is also very manual at the moment. Run mvn install, ftp war to
server, drop in Jboss.

So step 1 is probably to load the model and drl files into WB. Should a
kiesession jar have pojos too? Only the parts you want to manage in WB?

Then I presume that the main goal of WB is to provide a graphical ui to
maintain rules, with business users messing around in their sandbox, making
new snapshot versions of the rules jar?

Then i change the web app's dependency to the new snapshot, rebuild and
redeploy?

What is the best scenario, to allow business users a UI and myself a simple
deployment mechanism when business users want to test their changes, that i
can hope to achieve with Drools and it's Uberfire parts?