[rules-users] [Optaplanner] provisioning / scalability

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 11:05:59 EST 2014

On 06-02-14 14:17, Mats Norén wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a use case where multiple users need to run multiple
> simultaneous solvers.
> Is there a best practice in scaling out Optaplanner for multitenancy?
> Just to be clear I'm not interested in scaling out a single
> optimization run but instead multiple solvers.
> So I'm looking for pros and cons for:
> - multiple solvers in the same JVM
Provide 1 CPU core per Solver that's running in parallel.
1 Solver saturates 1 CPU core entirely
and it is ussually happy if it has 300mb of free heap space on top of it
needs as a bare minimum.
If there is no such free heap space, you're basically trading more cpu
for less memory (due to higher GC activity).

So provide 1 CPU core per Solver that's running in parallel.
If you need to run 8 jobs and have 4 CPU cores, I would probably run 4
at the same time for half the time.
> - multiple JVM:s on a single machine (with multiple solvers)
I see no reason to do that. By using 1 JVM you pool class instances, etc
so use less memory overall.
> - multiple machine setup
Definitely the way to increase Solvers running in parallel.
> - virtual machine vs lxc (Docker) vs bare metal
No data on that yet.

> I'm also interested in provisioning of rules etc
Let me know what works well for you and what doesn't with multitenancy!