[rules-users] Guvnor JCR repository

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sun Feb 9 17:45:15 EST 2014

I’m not sure what you think was lost. All the 5x use cases should be catered for.
> Once you are in prod and you just modify a rule, how do you do ?

Not sure what you meant by the above?

I don’t see that anything was lost, compared to 5.x Instead we have better foundations, built on industry standards. Over time we can figure out how to best expose those layers in the UI, or how to make things smoother with task oriented UIs (wizards) to drive things.

But in the mean time your devs and admins have clean ways of doing things, that wasn’t available in 5.x.

We are thinking of adding “git flow” type functionality, where development is done in “feature branches”.
http://danielkummer.github.io/git-flow-cheatsheet/
The main difficulty here is finding a sane way to handle the flow, as we can’t expose merge conflicts to end users in the UI. Especially as XML and blobs have no effective way to do merging. As commits can be squashed, when the feature branch is merged, it can help reduce the history size, and keep it more relevant.

i’d be very interested to hear from people how they think this can be done. What sort of “flows” can we build into the UI, that is suitable for BAs,that leverages the power of git, and avoids getting situations where code is lost due to merge conflicts.

In generally any feedback on how to improve the usability via higher level screens/wizards/configurations/workflows/task lists etc, is really welcome.

We also now have a very clean and extensible UI, so it’s easier for community people to work on things with us. Such as adding new wizards etc.

Mark