[rules-users] Multiple planning variables in optaplanner 6.0.1‏

lloydstockman ljstockman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:16:46 EST 2014

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get a basic program going using Optaplanner 6.0.1 I have come
across a problem because I am using two planning variables within a single
planning entity. I have checked other examples, such as the examination
example, and it seems fine to have multiple planning variables within a
single planning entity. I also tried to add another planning variable to the
cloud balancing example and the same error occurs so I believe there is
something I need to do to be able to use multiple planning variables in a
single entity. The error is as follows.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The
selectorConfig (ValueSelectorConfig(null)) has no configured variableName
(null) for planningEntityClass (class domain.Provisional) and because there
are multiple in the variableNameSet ([date, morning, technician]), it can
not be deducted automatically.
    at
org.optaplanner.core.config.heuristic.selector.SelectorConfig.deduceVariableDescriptor(SelectorConfig.java:108)

I haven't found anything in the manual to suggest what needs to be done in
this scenario, or found any posts of the forum regarding this topic. If
anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

best regards,
 - Lloyd Stockman