[rules-users] Parallel / Distributed Optaplanner

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 04:27:09 EDT 2014

Hi Jonathan,

On 09-06-14 20:52, jonathan.labin wrote:
> I know that this topic has come up before.  At various times there were
> project(s).
>
> How has that played out?  Was there progress or has the idea been put on the
> back-burner?  Was something discovered that seems to make the idea not worth
> pursuing?
It's still on my mind and in the roadmap:
   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/PLANNER-76
Other issues have currently taken priority (due to customer requests etc).
http://www.optaplanner.org/download/releaseNotes/releaseNotes6.1.html
In 6.1 (CR1 is being build right now), more preparation for this is in
place: everything is now on the selector architecture.

The technical challenge is still the same: don't break incremental score
calculation while parallelizing OptaPlanner,
because incremental score calculation is a far bigger speedup than
anything parallelization can bring to the table.
The technical design that adheres to this is still the same (last
comment on PLANNER-76):
Use surrogate entity id's, to allow migrating Move's from 1
workingSolution to another.

> I'm contemplating doing some investigating of my own to attempt to leverage
> additional hardware in a distributed way for our application.  But I didn't
> want to end up re-discovering things or try things that have already proved
> to be a dead end by an effort ongoing within the project.
Any experiments you do would be interesting for me to observe.
Especially if it's user-domain agnostic, I am interested to merge a PR
adding this functionality.

> Any insight you could share?
Parallelize the method LocalSearchDecider.pickNextStep() :)
Replace the LocalSearchDecider instance in DefaultLocalSearchPhase with
your own.
Extend LocalSearchPhaseConfig to be able to do that.