[rules-users] drools leaving a backgroud thread

Aliza Itzkowitz (Silver) (aitzkowi) aitzkowi at cisco.com
Wed Jun 11 01:51:02 EDT 2014

Hi,
I have a Java servlet running on Tomcat7 which runs multiple drools knowledge bases with a session associated to each one.
I am using drools version 6.1.0.Beta3
When tomcat shuts-down I am seeing this message in the log:

Jun 10, 2014 6:39:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks
SEVERE: The web application [/MyRulesServlet-1.0-SNAPSHOT] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [org.drools.core.common.UpgradableReentrantReadWriteLock$1] (value [org.drools.core.common.UpgradableReentrantReadWriteLock$1 at 5c0bf171<mailto:1 at 5c0bf171>]) and a value of type [org.drools.core.common.UpgradableReentrantReadWriteLock.LockRequestCounter] (value [org.drools.core.common.UpgradableReentrantReadWriteLock$LockRequestCounter at 141860ed<mailto:LockRequestCounter at 141860ed>]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

It seems I am not performing a proper cleanup of resources on shutdown.

I am calling kSession.dispose() for all the sessions I have, but apparently this is not enough.
What else do I need to do to get rid of this background thread?

Thanks,
Aliza