[seam-dev] Seam and monitoring / managing

Sebastian Hennebrueder usenet at laliluna.de
Tue Jul 1 11:35:16 EDT 2008

>> functionality. This could define a public API which the management
>> tool could use to retrieve the management data. It could also
>> optionally persist this info to a database.
>
> Yes. We need to be able to determine where the data ends up (in some
> deployment descriptor), so that it could work
> in environments without database or where the user wants the data in a
> different place. I am also not yet completely sure what the best way
> for JBossON/RHQ is to gather the data. DB tables sure are

Hello,

this  slightly touches the idea, I proposed when discussing the
FragmentCache implementation (which I still haven't finished - sorry for
this).

What I did write was a Seam component where any other component can
register a statistic generator. When I want to print statistics of my
application,
I just call this central component and it will call all registered
statistic generator. In that case there are just normal Cache statistics.

I already played around to register the component as a normal JMX to
allow using it with the JMXConsole.

This is a inverse approach as compared to your idea (pulling of
statistics) as opposed to pushing it somewhere (in memory or database).

Still IMHO we should define a common approach here.

Any kind of statistics could be interesting - Response Time, Number of
dialogs, average dialogs per session, ...

Best Regards

Sebastian