[seam-dev] Seam and monitoring / managing

Heiko W.Rupp heiko.rupp at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 10:23:40 EDT 2008

Pete,

> We currently having nothing at all like this in Seam, and I think
> it could be very useful.

Fine :-)

> It sounds like this should be a separate jboss-seam-management
> library you could deploy inside your app to provide this

Exactly. My initial mail was to start this thought process.

> functionality. This could define a public API which the management
> tool could use to retrieve the management data. It could also
> optionally persist this info to a database.

Yes. We need to be able to determine where the data ends up (in some
deployment descriptor), so that it could work
in environments without database or where the user wants the data in
a different place. I am also not yet completely sure what the best
way for JBossON/RHQ is to gather the data. DB tables sure are

> I think we need to get some concrete use cases together to get an
> idea of the kind of data a user would want to collect and see how
> much impact this would have on the core code.

I definitively see at least two metrics (keyed by the place where
they are applied or some explicit key):

- timing of a method
- count of using some code path

The other thing that I did not mention in my first email is that
JBossON/RHQ also has the possibility to edit config files from a
central location or invoke operations on resources - there might be
some usecases for this as well.

    Heiko