[seam-dev] Re: [Resteasy-developers] Seam and RESTEasy integration

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 10:32:37 EDT 2008

Christian Bauer wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2008, at 14:47 , Bill Burke wrote:
>
>> The Dispatcher is driven off of UriInfo.  So, you need to build your
>> own since it is specific to Seam.  Look in HttpServletDispatcher to
>> see how it builds it, its pretty easy and the methods are already
>> there.
>
> OK, I'll try that.
>
>> FYI, you should be working off of trunk as we've have recently
>> changed packaged names (to org.jboss.resteasy) and are refactoring
>> continuously.  You will also want to take advantage of our
>> interceptor model when we get it in.
>
> Well let's keep integration for releases, we can't refactor every day
> to follow your nightly snapshots. Just open a JIRA issue on Seam when
> you have a new release and you think that the integration needs to be
> updated.
>
> We most likely won't need your interceptors and I'm not sure you
> should even have them in RESTEasy. KISS and if people want a resource
> programming model that supports interception they should use Seam (or
> EJB3, or Spring, or whatever other container).

I originally thought this myself, but there are a decent amount of use
cases that require them.

I'm doing asynch stuff as well as Cache-Control annotations and
server-side caching.  All of which require interception at certain (and
different) points of request processing that Seam can't provide for me.

Asynch requires interception before request unmarshalling. Server-side
caching requires interception before and after marshalling requests.
Cache-Control annotations require knowledge of the HTTP method being
invoked.  Also, users may want to re-use JAX-RS annotations within their
interceptors, for instance, for their own security protocol.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat