[seam-dev] the shackles have been removed from seam-gen (upgrade #2)

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 10:50:36 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Sanne Grinovero
<sanne.grinovero at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks Dan, I really like these changes.
> IMHO next step should be to merge "seam setup" and "seam new-project"
> to be more consistent, and save directly all settings to the project
> specific workspace.
> I never understood the name behind "setup": it looks like you are
> going to setup Seam but it is
> actually going to make project-specific questions;
> It's nice they get saved there as default settings for next project,
> but should be used only as such.

The only problem I see with moving the build.properties file into the
project (rather than copying it) and also making the user go through
the setup questionnaire (rather than using two steps) is that people
like me (and perhaps Jay) who are generating about 10 - 20 seam-gen
projects a day enjoy the fact that I can run over and over again:

seam delete-project create-project generate restart

Once I get the build.properties file in place, then I can just churn
out the project. So if we combine setup and create-project, we would
need to leave behind build.properties and then have a quiet switch
that would suppress the questionnaire:

seam -q delete-project create-project generate restart

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.