[seam-dev] the shackles have been removed from seam-gen (upgrade #2)

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 20:03:42 EDT 2008

Max,

Well, JBossTools really doesn't have the same challenge as the seam
script because with JBossTools, you know the settings for each project
in the workspace. By that, I mean that if you have several Seam
projects in the workspace, you can run the code generation tasks on
each one individually. seam-gen is different because there isn't an
overarching management tool. Thus, the seam-gen.properties is a way to
bootstrap the commandline seam script out of the project directory
rather than from $SEAM_DIST/seam-gen/build.properties.

In fact, nothing has to change in JBossTools at all because once you
open up a seam-gen project in JBossTools and update the Seam runtime
(the Seam property sheet in the project properties) the code
generation works! So guess what, we have achieved exactly what we
wanted, to be able to run code generation from the project regardless
of which tool you use to create the Seam project (the seam script or
JBossTools).

-Dan

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen
<max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The next steps I guess are for JBossTools to use the
>> seam-gen.properties inside the project (if it doesn't already). As far
>> as JBossTools is concerned, it doesn't really care where the
>> properties file is because it has the advantage of being aware of the
>> workspace. Most of the upgrades here had to happen in the seam script.
>
> We never could use seam-gen.properties because it was
>
> 1) not in the project
>
> 2) did not contain anything we could use...
>
> #1 has changed, but what is relevant for us in #2 ?
>
> /max

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.