[seam-dev] Seam 2.1 issues in Tools

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 00:28:23 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen <
max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:27:22 +0200, Shane Bryzak <shane.bryzak at jboss.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Ok as Pete said it may have something to do with the new multi-package
>> support for namespaces.  How are you doing the translation?
>>

> As described below. We simply do
> org.jboss.seam.[postcolonname].[camelcaseoftagname]
>
> Was told by Gavin et.al. that would be sufficient 99% of the time ;)
>
> I guess we just hit the 1%

When I first began writing chapter 5 of Seam in Action and how Seam related
component names to classes, I thought that Seam was using the package name
of the class to assemble the component name and vice-versa. But as I got
deeper into the research for that chapter, I discovered that this pattern
just happens to be the naming convention for the built-in components (until
2.1). In the end, you have to go through the @Package annotation to be
absolutely sure what the qualified component name is (or consider the
shorthands that components.xml allows).

It sounds like that you were already aware of that Max, but that the
convention was good enough (the enemy of better) at the time. We should
definitely have tools use the true mapping logic that Seam uses in the
future. I would vote for it being important.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.