[seam-dev] Suppressing parameter inclusion for s:link

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:46:21 EDT 2008

> Actually it is possible to differentiate between the two in JSF (nothing to
> do with facelets).
>
> if (parameter.getValueExpression("value") == null) {
>   // The markup was <f:param name="foo"/>
> } else if (parameter.getValue() == null) {
>  / // The markup was <f:param name="foo" value="#{null}"/>
> }

I stand corrected.

> I'm really not sure that the no-value-attribute is correct, so I think we
> should change it to your original suggestion Christian - that it causes a
> parameter to be propagated with the value got from pages.xml. I think as
> this is a new minor feature we can break it.

Ah, I see what you are saying. The absent value means "go get one for
me" and applies to when you first turn off page parameters then
activate select names. That is very logical and I can buy into that.

I wouldn't worry about breaking the Seam 2.1 behavior since it was put
in just to suppress a single parameter and it's easy enough to tell
people to explicitly assign the value #{null} in that case. All I am
interested in there is that there *is* a way to suppress a single
parameter. So we're good.

I think we pretty much have this worked out. I'm think we need to now
put the summary of the design into the JIRA and then move forward with
it. You have my vote.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.