[seam-dev] Seam 2.1 branch

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 22:41:48 EDT 2009

>  I have not done that yet (since I don't need that many dependencies yet
>> given what I have so far). Shane, please feel free to hack this file up as
>> needed. I just had to have it in place to do anything w/ the examples.
>>
>> The good news is that the seam-booking.war can be built and deployed to
>> JBoss AS 5. It doesn't really do anything yet except show the home page.
>> Tomorrow I can dive in and start to get a screen or two going.
>>
>> I would then like to research getting Maven to deploy the examples...only
>> falling back to Ant if I am just fighting with it too much.
>>

> I've done this twice and it's a nightmare ;-)

I was fortunate to have good fortune on my first try. I got the booking
example to deploy with no trouble using the jboss plugin. The downside is
that I've only got the packaged EAR going so far, not the exploded EAR. I'm
going to see if I can build quickly on what I have.

> Couple of questions so far.
>>
>> 1. Can I use the standard src/main/webapp for the web assets? The webbeans
>> build uses WebContent which I guess is for JBDS. But I think I can get JBDS
>> to work with src/main/webapp just fine. I'm also open to the folder named
>> "view". I really dislike the folder name WebContent.
>>

> I think we should go with the WTP standard here.

I really don't like this idea. I want to stick to the Maven standard
src/main/webapp or use view. WebContext is a stupid folder name and I've
always hated that WTP wouldn't change it to something less lame. Besides,
the location is completely configurable in WTP anyway, so it doesn't really
care what the folder is called. I've also seen Maven plugins choke when the
convention is not followed. So I'm going to hack on src/main/webapp for a
couple of days and just see how it pans out.

>> 2. We are setting JSF to version 2.0.0.PR2, right? I guess later if we
>> need to we can think about how to enable JSF 1.2 in the build, but I'm
>> assuming we are just not worrying about that yet. So I can use JSF 2
>> features (and knock out legacy Facelets), correct?
>>

> I don't see a need to support JSF 1.2

All I was looking for was a decision. Fine with me. The only downside is
that I have to use JSF 2 from SVN because the current PR2 doesn't have any
of the Red Hat additions. But SVN is also not quite working right, so we are
just going to have to hobble along for a short while.

>> 3. Should booking be an EAR or a WAR (or both)? I know I will need a
>> Stateful session bean so with JBoss AS 5 that still requires use of an EAR I
>> believe. I seem to have answered my own question. Just verify.
>>

> EAR.

Done.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.