[seam-dev] Need advice on what and how to commit new build stuff for the booking sample app on WebSphere v7

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 14:06:11 EDT 2009

On 28 Jul 2009, at 18:47, Denis Forveille wrote:

> 2009/7/28 Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com>
>
> > On your advice, I could describe what to do to get the
> > booking/"agnostic-like" app to build and run on WAS, but IMHO as an
> > end user discovering seam, it is much easier and faster to run a
> > script that builds the ear file ready-to-be deployed and then
> > inspect what's in the ear to mimic/adapt their own projects.
>
> Yes, I personally prefer this approach.
>
> What do others think?
>
> While I think the instructions are important, because they emphasize
> the changes that have to be made, I wish there was a build that
> would automate the modifications so that we lower the barrier to
> getting hands on.
>
> And yes, now that JBoss AS 5 is out, the jee5 app should be the
> first example any newcomer to Seam tries. Is there a place where we
> asterisk the default example? If so, we should asterisk the jee5 one.
>
> OK..
>
> What I could do as an example for the jee5/booking sample:
> - commit the build-websphere7.xml file and resource-websphere7
> directory like for the jpa sample (with tailored web.xml,
> persistence.xml, ejb-jar.xml file etc...)
> AND
> explain in the doc what to do if you want to do it by hand, starting
> from the "vanilla" resource/build files to get to the WAS v7
> tailored files
>
> This could be done also for JBoss5, GFv2 and OC4J as this sample is
> mainly target for those AS and the bookingsample could then be
> deprecated...

We should address this for Seam 3, as I stated on the other mail. I
think there are a number of issues with the way the examples are
structured and I would like to address in a coherant manner, not
piecemeal.

> WDYT?
>
> Two other ideas:
> 1) I would like that the general sample build proc look first for
> files in the resource-<as specific> dir THEN in the resource genral
> dir (ie copy the general resource dir in a temp place then override
> with specific files from theresource-<as specific> dir) . With that,
> we could only put in the resource-<as specific> dir,  files that are
> really different from the base and not all the files as for now. The
> end user would directly see whant files have been changes (eg
> pages.xml, faces-config.xml,application.xml  etc....never change )

Or you could even use the unified diff format in the resource specific
directory, perhaps as a patch file which is applied during build -
this would make it super easy to see the changes needed.

> 2) I also would like to get 3 sub dirs in the "resource" folder:
> "META-IINF" for files that goes in the ear (ie application.xml), WEB-
> INF for the web module and JPA for file that go into the jpa-ejb jar

This is a big change, but again, we need to address the entire way we
structure examples in Seam 3, and align with JBoss Tools so that our
examples work ootb there. This means adopting the JBT structure for
projects I think.

Again, we need to start a wiki page for this :-)