[seam-dev] Seam 3 development

Piotr Steininger piotr.steininger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 10:39:04 EST 2009

Seam Team,

My name is Piotr (Peter) Steininger and I am a former Amentra/RedHat
consultant living in the Washington, DC area. I've worked on a number of
consulting projects using Seam 2 as a solutions architect and a tech/dev
lead. I learned to love a lot of Seam's features (and got to know a lot of
it inside and out), and got to experience many challenges of using Seam in
(both technical and political). Since the experience I gained has been
paying my bills for a while, I feel that this is the time to pay back, and
invest my time and skills into Seam and Weld, which I am very excited about
and want to promote for future projects.

So I'd like to contribute to Seam 3 code in some way, to accelerate the time
line. I would also love to help build some solid examples (beyond booking,
number guess, etc - something with hands and legs - I have a few ideas,
which I'll be putting down on paper pretty soon).

I checked out the sources for modules one by one, but I can't seem to build
some of them (ie. seam-bpm). Maven complains that it can't find
seam-parent:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT. I found a trace of it on repository.sonatype.org(
http://repository.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/org/jboss/seam/seam-parent/3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/),
but no pom, just metadata.

How can I get around it?

I have to admit I am totally new to the process of contributing to
open-source since I've been on consulting gigs pretty much behind closed
doors, so I am not sure where to start. I tried to find some more detailed
developer docs, but I probably did not dig deep enough.

I appreciate in advance any advice and direction.
Thanks,

Piotr