[seam-dev] Seam 3 development

Piotr Steininger piotr.steininger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:22:36 EST 2009

Shane,

Thanks for your email.

I'd like to start by helping to get the most critical modules to business
applications. I consider those to be: security, bpm, drools and mail.
Whether it is development, testing, documentation - it's all the same to me.

Beyond that I'd like to make my biggest contribution in education and
promotion in the community. I think it's not enough to get the technical
community excited, we need the folks that are paying the bills for IT
projects to be on board and confident. The reason for it is my experience
trying to wade through politics of technology selection on the projects I
was involved in. I found that many organizations were hesitant or in
opposition to Seam, simply because it was something they never heard about,
and in their mind it was yet another framework with high risk. Some
organizations see a relatively small resource pool and a new technology as a
risk. So I'd like to help grow this resource pool, so that CDI, Weld, and
Seam not only gain traction with the technical community, but also with the
business that ultimately way too often (unfortunately) decides which
technology to use.

The way I think I can help best is to work closely with each module lead on
developing viable and useful (but small scale) examples of how to use each
module, and write articles about these examples, explaining in sufficient
details each one. I think having a hands-on experience with real mission
critical apps can be of some benefit. But before I get there I could
definitely help out porting over / reimplementing portions of any module you
guys believe is of high priority. I'd like for the leads to provide me with
some initial guidance/intro, so I can get better acquainted with the code,
and a consensus about priorities. I would also  definitely enjoy being
brought in on some architecture related conversations.

I realized that I have signed a contributor's agreement earlier this year
(June 29), but it is still pending.

Thanks again, and please let me know how to proceed beyond here.

Thanks,

Piotr