[seam-dev] Need advice on what and how to commit new build stuff for the booking sample app on WebSphere v7

Denis Forveille denis.forveille at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 13:47:20 EDT 2009

2009/7/28 Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com>

>> > On your advice, I could describe what to do to get the
>> > booking/"agnostic-like" app to build and run on WAS, but IMHO as an
>> > end user discovering seam, it is much easier and faster to run a
>> > script that builds the ear file ready-to-be deployed and then
>> > inspect what's in the ear to mimic/adapt their own projects.
>>
>> Yes, I personally prefer this approach.
>>
>> What do others think?
>>

> While I think the instructions are important, because they emphasize the
> changes that have to be made, I wish there was a build that would automate
> the modifications so that we lower the barrier to getting hands on.
>
> And yes, now that JBoss AS 5 is out, the jee5 app should be the first
> example any newcomer to Seam tries. Is there a place where we asterisk the
> default example? If so, we should asterisk the jee5 one.

OK..

What I could do as an example for the jee5/booking sample:
- commit the build-websphere7.xml file and resource-websphere7 directory
like for the jpa sample (with tailored web.xml, persistence.xml, ejb-jar.xml
file etc...)
AND
explain in the doc what to do if you want to do it by hand, starting from
the "vanilla" resource/build files to get to the WAS v7 tailored files

This could be done also for JBoss5, GFv2 and OC4J as this sample is mainly
target for those AS and the bookingsample could then be deprecated...

WDYT?

Two other ideas:
1) I would like that the general sample build proc look first for files in
the resource-<as specific> dir THEN in the resource genral dir (ie copy the
general resource dir in a temp place then override with specific files from
theresource-<as specific> dir) . With that, we could only put in the
resource-<as specific> dir,  files that are really different from the base
and not all the files as for now. The end user would directly see whant
files have been changes (eg pages.xml, faces-config.xml,application.xml
etc....never change )
2) I also would like to get 3 sub dirs in the "resource" folder: "META-IINF"
for files that goes in the ear (ie application.xml), WEB-INF for the web
module and JPA for file that go into the jpa-ejb jar