[seam-dev] Need advice on what and how to commit new build stuff for the booking sample app on WebSphere v7

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Mon Jul 27 13:04:22 EDT 2009

On 27 Jul 2009, at 17:57, Denis Forveille wrote:

> (eg. the build process included specific JBoss libs,
>
> Like?
>
> jboss-common-core.jar  and concurrent.jar

IIRC these are Hibernate dependencies...

> Well, I would suggest including instructions for getting it working
> with minimal changes in the readme. You can add a comment to the
> specifc file like <!-- Not required in WAS 7 -->, and write in the
> ref guide that you don't need these (but they don't hurt) etc.
>
> But as this sample is likely the application people start with, IMHO
> it would be better to have an application that shows the "best way
> to run  Seam on your AS".
> eg, in the doc I will describe three ways to configure the
> application to let Seam smoothy find the beans in the JNDI WAS
> namespace. If I give instructions to modify the sample app "with
> minimal changes" (see your comment below) to run on WAS, it will use
> the worse way (IMO) to do it (ie maintain the ejb3 ref in the config
> files) and people will build their apps on this without any real
> sample app that will use the best approach.
> If you are OK with it, for WAS, I will give instructions to build
> the booking application and get the "best way to run Seam on WAS
> v7", this will include a few extra steps (like remove the ejb-ref
> etc..)

I would suggest describing both the minimal and recommended.

In other words "If you are getting started with WAS you can do XYZ"
"Now that you've got the app up and running, you may be wondering if
you can simplify the configuration. You can by doing PQRST (remove ejb-
refs etc.)"

So, we get people up and running with minimum deviation from the EE
spec - the most portable app. Then we show how to tweak for WAS.