[seam-dev] Re: Seam/RESTEasy integration

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 13:02:12 EST 2009

Bill, agreed on all these things - JSF2 no longer overloads POST for
GET (which it did previously), adds good support for statelessness and
unique URIs for a resource through page actions. However I don't think
full REST is possible in JSF (not overloading POST for PUT/DELETE).

On 4 Mar 2009, at 17:53, Bill Burke wrote:

> Not sure, here's some guesses on what making JSF "RESTFul" means:
>
> * Unique URIs to each "page"
> * don't overload the meaning of HTTP methods.  i.e. don't change
> state of server with a GET
> * No sessions, stateless
>
> Or maybe people just want nice URI templating and JAX-RS injection
> annotations.  I don't know. Which isn't persay, "REST", but still
> nice to have.

These would also be nice and are on the cards for JSF 2.1...

> Dan Allen wrote:
>>    I am working on Seam+RESTEasy integration as a part of my
>> university
>>    thesis. I am focusing more on new features rather than bug
>> fixing as
>>    this is more interesting for university however I was fixing some
>>    bugs as well. The plan is to implement following things:
>>           * REST API for application framework - I am working on a
>>    component that exposes CRUD API to manipulate database entities
>>    (using Seam's home and query components)- I have some working
>>    prototypes already, working on details now.
>>           * Exception mapping in pages.xml
>>           * Facelets XHTML mapping
>>    Furthermore, I am planning on creating a sample application
>>    demonstrating Seam+RESTEasy integration. It will be a simple todo
>>    app exposing REST API.
>> Jozef, while you are thinking about how to expand this integration,
>> could you record some thoughts about how JSF might leverage REST.
>> One of the features that has been long requested of JSF is that it
>> support REST. The problem is, we have to first figure out what that
>> even means. Maybe it isn't even relevant. Either way, if there is a
>> sensible integration, we (Red Hat) want to be the ones that figure
>> it out and propose it to the JSF EG for JSF 2.1.
>> It may well be that the JSF REST merely consists of defining
>> mappings in the PDL (i.e., Facelets).
>> If anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to share them.
>> -Dan
>> --
>> Dan Allen
>> Senior Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
>> http://mojavelinux.com
>> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction
>> NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a
>> daily
>> basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
>> from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than
>> a week,
>> it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
>> caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a
>> message if
>> you feel that it did not reach my attention.
>
> --
> Bill Burke
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat
> http://bill.burkecentral.com