[seam-dev] To cascade or not...

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:34:22 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen <max.andersen at redhat.com
> wrote:

>  On 05-03-2009 00:06, Dan Allen wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen <
> max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Convenient does not mean it should be default.
>>
>> Anyway, for GA we will keep the "old" default since it was discovered too
>> late.
>>
>> Then when we do have the ui for controlling the default I would just have
>> a few options but
>> let none be the default since it is the less risky one and you can set the
>> default option in persistence.xml
>> instead of going set it on every single entity.
>>

> It's clearly a programming/architecture style since we all are pushing our
> own viewpoints. Thus, I think you should have an option in the UI for the
> user to enter whatever default he/she wants. Perhaps check boxes would be
> nice.
>
> I don't really like the idea of setting the defaults in the XML as it
> changes the behavior of the application and makes it non-portable (or harder
> to connect the dots for someone looking at the annotations).
>
> So can we agree to disagree and make it a choice for the developer?
>
> I wrote that above didn't I ? :) ALL is kept for now, a choice will be
> added going forward.
>
> btw. no single app in this world will use the same cascade on all
> assocations hence setting i.e. ALL is
> encouraging a very bad practice ... but for now I can't change it since the
> alternative is just as bad because
> of backwards compatability.

Yep, I'll raise my glass to that.

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.