[seam-dev] package naming conventions

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 02:22:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Jason Porter <lightguard.jp at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 11:21, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Module writers,
>>
>> For as much as we all enjoy discussing things like naming conventions
>> (not), I do feel that we need to establish some consistency across modules.
>> Rather than devising some arbitrary scheme, I'd rather build on the package
>> name choices that are coming out of the modules and try to align on what
>> seems natural.
>>
>> Tihomir raised an important point with respect to qualifiers. When doing
>> XML Bean Config, the configuration is clearer if qualifiers are in their own
>> package so they can be bound to a unique namespace prefix. This
>> helps distinguish the qualifier elements from the class elements (like class
>> name, method, field, etc). As for other annotations, Seam has traditionally
>> put them in the "annotations" subpackage, which Shane has done in remoting
>> and security.
>>

> As a consumer I would love to see all
> qualifiers/annotations/interceptors/decorators/etc in the same package, it
> just makes things easier to find when you're looking for classes or javadoc.
>  This is also probably easier for people migrating from Seam2 to understand
> how to easily migrate.

Are you suggesting using the same package across all modules, or do you mean
all qualifiers (for instance) in the same package in a single module?
Sharing packages between modules seems to me like a bad idea because that
would create too many conflicts. I think modules have to at least use their
own base package.

If we are already on the same page in that respect, and you are just saying
that within a single module the general types should be grouped together,
I'd agree that should be the default approach, with exceptions where
necessary.

Remember, if you aren't sure what to use in a particular case, you can
always ask. When you do, give a list of proposals and leverage the feedback
to be the choice people would most expect.

Registered Linux User #231597