[seam-dev] Seam parent version

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 07:44:18 EDT 2010

On 15 Apr 2010, at 03:23, Dan Allen wrote:

> I'll note this in the Seam 3 wiki somewhere, but Seam parent should be a single number, like Weld parent and JBoss parent. Currently it is set to 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.

Yes. Parent should contain non-exportable dependencies of Seam, such as testing deps.

> We'll also need a release of it in order to release modules that use it, like Faces. Let's start with 1.

Yes.

> While I'm on the topic of build poms, I don't understand why dist is not in the build root. We currently have:
>
> build/trunk/parent/pom.xml
> dist/trunk/pom.xml
>
> Yet the dist is the bom. I'm confused every time I build. I think it should be:

Yeah. This is probably my fault.

This is the stack POM which defines a distribution. It doesn't normally appear directly in the hierarchy of the Seam POMs. Instead it should be imported by the various modules (and defines the version of Seam they are building against).

IOW we would end up with:

Seam Faces 3.0.0.Alpha1 imports Seam 3.0.0.Beta1 and uses the dep versions it suggests.

Seam 3.0.0.Beta2 specifies an upgraded stack of deps, including Seam Faces 3.0.0.Alpha1.

When imported into a project, it is closer to the project, and so has *its* versions used rather than those which are imported from the stack POM via Seam Faces.

I know, this is slightly confusing, but will work :-)

It has a separate SVN structure as we need to tag it separately from the build stuff (which just defines the build environment).

I will try to write this all up today and also review module's usage.