[seam-dev] Seam Security supporting OAuth?

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 02:14:32 EST 2010

Great explanation Marcel.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Marcel Kolsteren <marcel at meandi.nl> wrote:

> Apart from the question about whether to extend Seam Security with support
> for delegated access mechanisms, there is another thing to take into
> account. There is a new OAuth 2.0 standard, which is very interesting. It's
> a lot less complex than OAuth 1.0, and although it's still very new (AFAIK
> the spec hasn't even been completed), Facebook already implemented it. I
> already added an external authentication option in the PicketLink Seam
> module, based on their OAuth 2.0 access point, so that users can be
> authenticated with their Facebook accounts.

This is going to be the 80% case. It's all the rave this days. The same goes
for Twitter auth.

And yes, OAuth is a pain for a newcomer. I encountered it's complexity when
twitter forced me to introduce OAuth into my shell script that backs up my
account. A lot of work to keep the status quo.

Registered Linux User #231597