[seam-dev] Seam 3 space on JBoss Community

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 00:26:50 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Tiago Reis <tiago.reis at cardmobili.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a SEAM user I can tell that I really don't like the current website.
>
> Its hard to navigate, hard to find information, hard to keep track of my
> threads in the forum, timeout time is too short, and some other things.
>
> If moving allows for a better experience, I'm all for it. But if we can
> improve the current web site in order to fix most of the issues that the
> community complains I'm also good with that.
>
> If we keep on the current site, why not try to promote more actively that
> the community helps improving it? Put a link on the first page, pointing to
> the most urgent issues on the site. I would love to help, but to be honest I
> don't know where to start. I bet that there are more people in my position.

Tiago, I see what your saying that getting the community involved with
improving the website would be in the spirit of open source development. And
if we were building collaborative software, that might be a good way
to continuously enhance it. But that's the trouble. We are building an
integration framework, so working on the website is not really the best use
of the resources we have. Plus, you have to think about the fact that if we
change the software, we need to involve QA, both to ensure it doesn't break
and to ensure the performance is acceptable. Then there is someone that
needs to upgrade it smoothly. So it's a fair amount of work.

What would be better is to have contributors fix bugs or add enhancements to
Seam itself. For sure, we want to give you the steps to get started, but in
working on Seam, not the website. As for the wiki as an example Seam
application, I think we could do a better job with more focused examples
that demonstrate specific features or that apply to different business
domains, rather than trying to put all the features into this one huge
example (the wiki).

I'll also add that we can request improvements in the software that runs
JBoss Community. It's powered by Jive SBS (social business software), and
they are continuously adding or refining features. So what is there today
isn't all there ever will be. And even that software has an extension API,
so you could contribute enhancements, though I'm not sure of the specifics
at this point. I'd have to ask Mark. But hopefully you will be interested in
helping out with Seam instead ;)

Registered Linux User #231597