[seam-dev] Status check!

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 08:43:41 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 04:33, Jason Porter <lightguard.jp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 16:36, Jordan Ganoff <jganoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Except releases would then no longer be 100% reproducible. Probably comes
> > down to a matter of policy.
>
> This is a very big reason why not to use ranges for versions, of
> course it's all pretty much thrown out the window at runtime because
> which jar happens to be loaded first (and maven will use the most
> current if anything references a more current version) wins.
>
> I'm with Jordan on this one, I say no version ranges for sake of
> sanity in trying to reproduce builds.

I agree, version ranges are a thorny path to go down. However, keep this in
mind. The version of Solder is the minimal API compatible version against
which the modules compile. The end developer can simply drop in the newer
version of Solder and instantly get the performance boost. Especially in
this case where the change is internal to the Solder impl. They can even
upgrade the impl without upgrading the api jar.

Naturally, they would want to run their own test suite after the upgrade
just like when you upgrade any version.

Sound reasonable?

Registered Linux User #231597

http://www.google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen#about