[seam-dev] Removing the combined jar

Shane Bryzak sbryzak at redhat.com
Wed Jun 8 19:32:27 EDT 2011

We discussed this briefly on IRC, however I thought we should discuss it
on seam-dev before we make any concrete decision.  To summarise the plan:

1. Remove the combined jar file from each of the modules
2. If the module has a single implementation, rename it to whatever the
combined jar was called.
     E.g. for Seam Catch, the impl module would be called seam-catch.
3. If the module has multiple implementations, then add a suffix to the
artifact name that reflects the individual implementation.
     E.g. Seam Reports has two implementations, which would be called
seam-reports-jasper (for Jasper reports) and seam-reports-pentaho (for
Pentaho).
4. Leave the API naming as it is, e.g. seam-reports-api.

The idea is that by importing the simplified module artifact name (i.e.
"seam-xxx") you would get the default implementation, which in turn
depends on the API.  The advantage of this is that we won't break
backwards compatibility - e.g. someone currently declaring a dependency
on "seam-catch" in their pom file won't have their app broken when we
rename the modules.  Also we remove the complexity introduced by having
a combined jar in the first place.

If you can spot any issues with this, please speak up now ;)

Shane