[seam-dev] Seam 2.2 migration to Seam 3

Marek Novotny mnovotny at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 05:58:26 EDT 2014

Jon,

 If you need any Redhat official answers use wfk-pm-list or
jboss-migration at redhat.com

Now to your questions in frame of Seam/Seam3 projects, my response is inline

On 03/13/2014 03:00 AM, Jon Da Vault wrote:
> Hello list members,
>
> Earlier today I posed a couple questions that did receive one
> response. The response has spawned a few more of my own questions and
> I have included the response in my conversation/further questions
> below. The original question is in red, and the response is also
> called-out and in red. The continuation question is in green. There
> are a couple new questions posed after the continued (green and red)
> question portion. Thanks for your help!
>
> 1) The customer makes extensive use of Seam 2 remoting for their
> banking security application. Is there an equivalent in CDI (Weld)
> that will allow them to continue using remoting? If not, what
> alternatives do we offer in it's place?
You mean Seam remoting, right? Lincoln's answer is correct for moving to
Java EE 6 standards. The question is what the customer prefers or needs,
big migration like develop it from the ground as it probably ends due
some differences between Seam2 and Seam3/Java EE6 standards. Or use Seam
2.3 with updates to Java EE 6 integration.
And please don't advice them to use Seam 3 if you don't want to be your
own supporter.
> Mailing List Response: You can take a look at Errai, or simply use JAX-RS.
> Q:  Seam 3 appears to have it's own remoting functionality available
> much like Seam 2. URL: http://seamframework.org/Seam3/RemotingModule
> As you'll note, there is a large disclaimer stating that active
> development for the project is halted and that the project is also
> deprecated. However, I feel that if the customer moves from Seam 2
> remoting to Seam 3 remoting they will incur a smaller amount of work
> than if they were to consider adopting a new technology such as Errai
> or JAX-RS as you've suggested as best cases. While they are interested
> in adopting a better or more appropriate technology for their
> application, they still want to rapidly make the move to Seam
> 3/Solder/CDI/Weld in the meantime and I think this sets them up nicely
> for migrating the rest of the technologies over. What the customer is
> extremely interested in knowing is if these technologies now sitting
> as-is (3.1 Snapshot I believe) can be said to be categorically stable
> and functional currently for this sort of temporary use case with full
> knowledge they aren't supported moving forward? If so, are there any
> migration documents available? If no migration documents are
> available, do you have anywhere you can point me in order to get a
> head start on creating one myself for our client? Do you agree with
> this short-term-win approach?
Migration documents in JBoss Developer project
http://www.jboss.org/jdf/migrations/get-started/
Some other inspiration see http://www.jboss.org/jdf/examples/get-started/

> 2) The customer currently uses Seam-managed Hibernate Sessions: he
> guesses they are not supported in CDI and wishes to know what is the
> best way to go moving forward? For example, something that is more
> conforming to JPA2 was mentioned.
> Mailing List Response: Moving to a more standard JPA environment would
> be best
> Q: Here again, there seems to be a Seam 3 persistence module available
> as before and I wonder if the customer could utilize this in the short
> term while preparing for an adoption of a new persistence technology
> lsuch as, say, just Hibernate? The URL I'm referencing is:
> http://seamframework.org/Seam3/PersistenceModule
Move to JPA2.
If you need extended Deltaspike persistence use Deltaspike on CDI -
http://deltaspike.apache.org/data.html

> 3) Given that components.xml is a large part of their implementation
> in Seam2, how can we break it up to conform with CDI/Weld/Seam3?
> Mailing List Response: All depends on what is in their components.xml,
> there's no simple answer here.
And that is simply true, you need to evalute the features you need or
you have to as a must.
> Q: I agree with this response. I do, however, have a snapshot of the
> components.xml and I know that it needs to be broken up into a few
> different places. Does anyone have experience in doing this? Please
> reply and I will send you the components.xml document if you'd like to
> assist in helping me to map the pieces to the appropriate places. If
> there's sufficient documentation online, as always, please direct me
> to it.
Use jboss-migration at redhat.com, that is specifically for helping with
migrations of existing application supported by Redhat.

> Lastly, if you're not tired of reading my questions yet there are a
> couple new ones below:
>
> *First new question:* "There used to be a class in Seam 2 called
> org.jboss.seam.faces.Redirect.   We use this a few times to force a
> redirect in different cases.
>
> for example:
>
> 1.      When user enters a valid URL but is not yet logged on;  view
> is captured and user returned to it after successful logon.
>
> 2.      When we detect that a user is no longer logged on;  we
> redirect to a "Logon expired page"
>
> So, the question is:   What do I replace this with?   I looked in Seam
> 3 but it doesn't appear to have been implemented (at least not in the
> seam-faces jar)."
JSF 2 has got navigation rules and redirection. You can use it instead
of pages.xml in Seam 2.

> *Second new question:* Regarding their current usage of Seam 2 "We use
> the class org.jboss.seam.async.Dispatcher to create long running
> threads in the container.   Can you tell me what I should use instead?"
TimerService in Java EE 6 is enhanced and is basically replacement for
Seam 2 Asynchronous.
http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/tutorial/doc/bnboy.html
http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/ejb/TimerService.html

> Again, if there are any documents or web sites that deal with these
> questions specifically regarding migration I would greatly appreciate
> having them sent to me.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Jon Da Vault
> Consultant