[security-dev] how to model services managed by a realm

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Mon Jun 10 20:54:20 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,

    First of all, custom IdentityType implementations are targeted for Beta5 and is related with PLINK-130.

    That said and considering what we have today, I would consider mapping applications as realms. If I understood your use case correctly, each application has its own users, roles, groups and relationships between them, not visible or accessible by others.

    A realm will allow you to organize identity data per application, where you can have the same user, role and group (with the same loginName or name) between different realms. Maybe this example application can be useful to demonstrate how to handle different realms in a multi-tennancy architecture (using realms, only).

        https://github.com/pedroigor/jboss-as-quickstart/tree/master/picketlink-authentication-idm-multi-tennancy

    Another way to organize identity data is using tiers. Tiers, different than realms, can be used to store only roles and groups. So, if you want to share users you can use a single realm to store them and use a specific tier for each application where its specific roles and groups are located.

    The Query API is ready to give you what you want if you use both approaches:

        - What roles or groups an application have
        - What roles or groups an user is related with

    You can get which applications are supported by getting from the IdentityManagerFactory which realms or tiers are configured.

Regards.
Pedro Igor