[security-dev] JPA?

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 07:22:26 EDT 2013

Late to the discussion, but I think Darran is exactly correct, and this just shows why pluggable identity stores are critical. And why we need to provide a good range of sample identity store implementations out of the box.

By default, something like Undertow will want a very lightweight identity store, to make it very easy to set up out of the box, and keep dependencies light. JDBC or flat files is perfect for that.

Some users will have existing corporate identity stores that they want to plug in to (e.g. LDAP, ActiveDirectory), and they will want to plug all things that use identity into that (Undertow, RESTEasy, their application logic) into that.

Other users won't have existing corporate identity stores, or not want to connect to them (think of the myriad of different identities you can end up with today in large companies when people don't integrate systems properly). For them, JPA can be a good answer for creating a custom schema.

We've also touched on the orthogonal issue of whether people will use the PL API directly for identity management. I think there are different classes of users here - some will, and some won't. It depends on what your app does, and whether you prefer to use declarative or programmatic authorisation (and hence access to roles), and what other systems you need to integrate with.

In summary, I think we can provide a JDBC store *additionally* to the JPA store (which already exists BTW). I think it's another good standard to support in this area.