[teiid-designer-dev] Re: [teiid-dev] 6.1 Release

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 23:42:22 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 20:58 -0400, John Doyle wrote:

> I'm aware that there's an aggressive schedule, but I question that
> value of releasing Teiid on it's projected release date, if the
> Designer is not ready to release, or vice versa.

Release soon and release often is the mantra for JBoss. I do not believe
either that they should be tightly dependent on release on each other
either. It would hard to adjust each others feature bucket, just so that
they can be released together. Just think about the lost time for the
team waiting.

For this exact purpose we are creating branch (for example 6.0.x), if
you are looking for a stable branch to make such changes. Then it is up
us to either cut a patch or cut another release based on amount of
changes.

Platform releases, that tie all of them together.

> I have changes coming in 6.1 to connectors that are depending upon
> importer changes.  I can mock up tests for the connector changes, but
> I won't really be able to validate a feature until I have two stable
> projects in my hands that are pretty much locked down.

I understand, what you are saying, but instead of working around it, we
need to fix it. If you saying that we have connector changes that are
dependent upon tooling code to the runtime code, I we need to

a) better plan according to upcoming releases
b) decouple dependencies,  use better abstractions
c) modularize

on these fronts we have stepped up and we need to to continue to push
further. Lets think in these terms and see if we can reduce this for
future releases. Can XML importer plugin can be deployed on its own
without Designer stuff?

> We can call them independent all we want, users will disagree.
> There's already traffic on the lists to demonstrate that.

The current release we are going through lot of connector type
definition changes, once we stabilize embedded integration and connector
integration this should reduced greatly, unless we change the vdb
indexing. We got JIRAs for lot of these already.

Ramesh..