[teiid-designer-dev] Re: [teiid-dev] 6.1 Release

John Verhaeg jverhaeg at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 16:33:13 EDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 1:18 PM, John Doyle wrote:

> But I think every release has to have tooling that works on the day
> we release or none of them will matter to users.  Can we agree to
> that?

I agree that until Designer is no longer the only way to create input
for Teiid, Teiid release notes should specify 1) which version of
Designer works with it, and 2) the features available in Teiid that
require tooling that isn't available.

> IMHO, I think we should break the releases apart only when we have
> the modularity allows us to do it in a verifiable way.  Until we
> have APIs and SPIs that aren't in flux, how will we know and
> communicate to the community which version of our tools work with
> which version of Teiid?

I disagree.  If the Designer needs to release based upon new usability
and performance improvements, bug fixes, or features independent of
its interaction with Teiid (either embedded or the server), it
shouldn't need to wait on Teiid.  Likewise, the server should have the
same leeway.  We certainly need to communicate on both of our project
web sites which version we are compatible with.  Amongst other places,
one would certainly expect to see this type of information in the
software requirements section...