[undertow-dev] How to do custom authentication?

arjan tijms arjan.tijms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:42:20 EDT 2014

Hi Marc,

>I know this isn't a JBoss list but my post on the JBoss forums isn't going anywhere so I thought I'd ask here.  If someone could point me to an example (I usually start with an example of authenticating based on a username in a header) I'd really appreciate it.

If you're looking for custom authentication then there's a
standardized SPI/API for that: JASPIC. It's supported relatively well
by WildFly 8.x.

There's an example of building a simple module here:
http://www.trajano.net/2014/06/creating-a-simple-jaspic-auth-module
and somewhat more complex one by the same author here:
http://www.trajano.net/2014/07/oauth-2-0-jaspic-implementation

I've posted about the background of JASPIC here:
http://arjan-tijms.omnifaces.org/2012/11/implementing-container-authentication.html
and created several tests that demonstrate a variety of behaviors
here: https://github.com/javaee-samples/javaee7-samples/tree/master/jaspic
(see also https://github.com/javaee-samples/javaee7-samples/issues/243)

Another example can be found here: https://github.com/arjantijms/two-factor-sam

This should hopefully be enough to start with an example where you
authenticate based on a header.

Kind regards,
Arjan