[webbeans-dev] Web beans implementation plan

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Thu Oct 16 16:55:59 EDT 2008

We now really need to get going on the RI. I've attached the latest draft.

Here's a list of tasks in order. Note that we can write tests for each
step, without needing stuff from the next step!

* basic Manager functionality: resolveByType(), resolveByName(), addBean()
* instantiation: getInstance(), getInstanceByType(), getInstanceByName()
* basic support for simple Web Beans
* specialization
* dependent pseudo-context
* request and application contexts
* injected fields, intializer methods, Web Bean constructors
* producer methods
* disposal methods
* @New
* interceptors
* decorators
* stereotypes
* scope adaptors
* basic event bus: fireEvent(), addObserver()
* observer methods
* @Observable Event<X>
* Web Bean discovery & initialization event
* Java EE integration
* session context
* basic support for enterprise Web Beans
* Web Bean remove methods
* passivating scope support
---- ALPHA RELEASE
* JMS endpoints
* web-beans.xml
* conversation context
* ejb-jar.xml
* support for common annotations
---- BETA RELEASE

Obviously, we don't need to do things in *exactly* that order, but I
think it's a good overall ordering.

I think that most of these tasks are one day or less of work, though
some of them, particularly toward the end are more than that.

I would like to target the alpha release for this year :-)

WDYT?

gavin.king at gmail.com