[webbeans-dev] Re: New name

Scott Ferguson ferg at caucho.com
Tue Jan 6 10:49:04 EST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Michael Keith wrote:

> I don't understand why literal names are more meaningless than
> abstract ones.

They tend to be overused because we have so many concepts to name, and
each overloading of the name  makes it less meaningful.

For example, "context" is one of the most overused terms on the server
side: transaction context, security context, class loader context,
JNDI naming context, language context (scope), etc.  Calling something
a "contextual service" doesn't distinguish it from any other kind of
service, because "context" has a low intrinsic information content.

> For example, I find something like Contextual Services more
> meaningful than "web beans".

Since "web beans" isn't a great name either, that's not fair. :-)

> "weave" has kind of already been claimed by the AOP community to
> mean byte-enhance. I
> expect that by and large that would be the connotation with anything
> named after it.

The spec does have a bunch of byte-code enhancement and AOP stuff. :-)

-- Scott