[weld-dev] Ant dist build

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 05:58:44 EDT 2010

On 17 Mar 2010, at 02:08, Jay Balunas wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So I'm starting to refactor the RichFaces 4.0 build and I am looking at what other projects are doing.  This includes weld and seam 3 builds ( especially because we have a similar module concept ).
>
> I'm looking for some lessons learned and what you would change if you could.
>
> - Does the single parent pom work well when you have different modules with very different dependencies?

It works well to a degree - aka the common superset of dependencies only (and plugin control of course). In fact, we are now using composition rather than inheritance, as it a lot more flexible.

We also use a "stack" POM with composition to specify a distribution.

> - Do you guys have any scripts in your back pocket for making the svn co/update, and build easier?  We have a top level pom that does nothing but build all our modules from their trunk.  Might be worth checking in ( or I might of just missed it ).
>
> - Dist building - I was thinking of modularizing our dist builds so CDK could be responsible for building CDK dist, UI would do the same, while having a top level build put these together into the primary dist.  Was there thoughts of this for weld/seam 3?  It appears to me that there is really only a top level distribution build.  I think both have merits, just wondering what the thoughts were.

For Weld there is only a top level dist, as that is all we distribute. Each Seam module may have a distro, not decided yet.

> - I know you guys are using ant builds instead of mvn assembly plugin.  Was this just because the assembler sucks, or something else?

Because I couldn't work out how to use assembly plugin originally. Now I have, and new builds use the assembly plugin (and we are converting others).

> FYI - I think a lot of the build wiki pages are great, and has good details ( RF needs the same for release process).  I made a minor update to the http://seamframework.org/Weld/WeldCoreReleases page, but agree with other posts that some of the process is "learn as you go".  It is still much better than many other projects, and I'll help out if I get the time, but I can't promise anything right now.

Yeah - also, as I wrote them, and wrote the build, I suspect I fell foul of making assumptions ;-)

Pete