[weld-dev] Weld archetypes in the spotlight

Piotr Steininger piotr.steininger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 17:34:14 EST 2010

I totally agree. Weld archetypes are probably the best polished ones I have
ever seen. They remind me of some of the Rails semantics (get up and running
in minutes).

These similarities got me thinking about another aspect of Rails - Plugins
or gems (which I think is a mixed bag). The promise of plugins/gems is that
you can quickly add dependent code and do some setup in minutes as well. I
think that maven could very well be a platform to do the same. Currently one
has to add dependencies by hand and quite often tweak the exclusions. With
the introduction of maven console plugin, I think the door became open to
create maven plugins/console scripts to make this a more automated process.

I don't have the expertise to create a prototype. I also don't know if this
is really something that could be useful in the community (or simply serve
as a tool for Maven newbies).

In any case, I wanted to see what the community thinks about this.