[weld-dev] Weld archetypes in the spotlight

Arbi Sookazian asookazian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:06:10 EST 2010

That's interesting.
The Basics of Creating Rails Plugins

A Rails plugin is either an extension or a modification of the core
framework. Plugins provide:

   - a way for developers to share bleeding-edge ideas without hurting the
   stable code base
   - a segmented architecture so that units of code can be fixed or updated
   on their own release schedule
   - an outlet for the core developers so that they don’t have to include
   every cool new feature under the sun

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/plugins.html

Sounds like CDI PEs (portable extensions) was a ripoff of this idea...  And
wasn't seam-gen alarmingly similar to Grails in terms of quick project
setup/startup?

PE is strikingly similar to Rails plugins based on the above description
when you think of Seam 3 having Weld as its new core and the "extras" like
jBPM integration, remoting, iText, PDF, Excel, etc.

Maven 2 already has the concept of MOJO (Maven POJO) and plugins:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-development.html

Not sure what added-value you're suggesting??

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Piotr Steininger <piotr.steininger at gmail.com