[weld-dev] Validating for fields that are annotated with both EJB and Inject

Matej Novotny manovotn at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 05:09:44 EDT 2020

Hello,

what you are describing looks like a user error. Basically, for a given scenario it can be uncertain who's handling injection and I can imagine some cases where there can be race between then two frameworks.

Side note - Validator doesn't have EJB dependency and we don't want to add it anywhere outside of EJB module. We would have to use WeldEjbValidator instead.

However, looking at specs, I didn't find any note on this so basically it is undefined and I don't think we should validate it because:
1) it is a definition error that can be caught even by IDE (= before app runs)
2) we do not know how EJB subsystem reacts to similar situation, different servers might have different solutions in place already
3) I would say this is a rare case and one where you usually realize what's wrong pretty fast unless you just keep slamming multiple annotations you don't understand onto fields ;-)

Similar scenario would emerge with Resource annotation or with com.google.inject.

Regards
Matej