[wildfly-dev] Enabling Hibernate Search to all Hibernate/JPA users

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Fri Aug 1 09:29:38 EDT 2014

On 08/01/2014 06:58 AM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> Currently users wishing for Search super-powers in their Hibernate
> applications need to enable the module explicitly.
>
> This seems to be rather annoying, and we have questions like this one:
>   - https://community.jboss.org/thread/243346

I responded to this particular question, which was how to enable a
module to be available from all deployments.  That really has nothing to
do with Hibernate Search.

> I see no reasons to not enable it by default, following the same
> activation rules of other Hibernate dependencies: it's very
> conservative about not auto-enabling itself when not needed.

Are you asking if its possible to have Hibernate Search deployment code
that detects use of Hibernate Search (perhaps after noticing use of some
Hibernate Search annotation) and adds a deployment dependency on some
Hibernate search module as a result?

> May I open such a feature request? Happy to try the patching myself.

Not sure.  I wonder if it would be better to have a separate Hibernate
Search profile for WildFly that includes deployment code to
automatically add application dependencies on Hibernate Search.

For this to work, I think that Infinispan's dependency on Hibernate
Search would need to not cause clustering/2lc failures when the
Hibernate Search module profile is not installed.

I think this would be nice as it would lay the groundwork for Search to
be separate (depending on how you feel about that). :)