[wildfly-dev] Patching from previous versions ?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 15:45:35 EDT 2014

On 6/5/14, 2:38 PM, Arun Gupta wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Brian Stansberry
> <brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 6/5/14, 5:54 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:
>>> When 8.2 becomes available, will there be a patch available that will
>>> allow to upgrade from 8.1 only or 8.0 as well ?
>>>
>>> And similarly for future versions, will the patch only be available
>>> from the previous version or all previous major/minor versions ?
>>>

>> My 2 cents.
>>
>> I don't see us supporting updating across major versions. Even if by
>> some chance we could, I doubt we'd want to set that precedent.
>
> So update will be only for minor versions ?
>

>> As for updating from 8.0 to 8.2 in one update file, that's technically
>> possible, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. A update for 8.0->8.2
>> would essentially consist of the 8.0->8.1 update and then the 8.1->8.2
>> update packaged in the same file. That would be a really big file.
>
> I think asking the users to update from 8.0 -> 8.1 and then to 8.2 is
> reasonable. But is that the current thought process ?

AFAIK this thread *is* the current thought process. :) So you and I have
stated opinions, which is a good start. In the end, the component lead
(Emanuel Muckenhuber) and Jason will decide.

I'm highly confident that updates will only be for minor versions
though. At least for now. Maybe someday that will change.