[wildfly-dev] Patching from previous versions ?

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 17:41:03 EDT 2014

On Jun 5, 2014, at 2:45 PM, Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:

>> I think asking the users to update from 8.0 -> 8.1 and then to 8.2 is
>> reasonable. But is that the current thought process ?
>>

> AFAIK this thread *is* the current thought process. :) So you and I have
> stated opinions, which is a good start. In the end, the component lead
> (Emanuel Muckenhuber) and Jason will decide.

Emanuel wrote a facility that would allow for us to ship both together, but I think that would require that the future class diff algorithm be very efficient. I think it’s best to assume that we won’t.

> I'm highly confident that updates will only be for minor versions
> though. At least for now. Maybe someday that will change.

Yes, I think the big issue is that we don’t want never-ending patch build-up (even though you can expunge old patches), so it makes the most sense to start fresh at major intervals. I think we should leave the door open to the idea for 9 though, even if it is just a tiny crack that is open :)

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat