[wildfly-dev] Tyr - pull request format checker

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Tue Apr 9 06:33:58 EDT 2019

Overall if for a tool we don't care if it down and consider it's output to
be something to ignore it would seem to offer little value, I would suggest
we aim for it to be available with useful output.

Will this just be adding a comment or will this also be influencing the
status of the pull request - i.e. will these reports be affecting the tick
or the cross visible next to a PR?  When looking at the PR queue the ones
with the green ticks are the easiest to jump into, provided no changes are
required to the code they are potentially ready to merge - adding false
crosses would affect this.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 6:47 AM Martin Stefanko <mstefank at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Does the commit check run against all commits in the PR?
>
> Not currently, I've added additional checks to verify there is only one
> commit in the PR :) But this should be possible to do, however, force
> pushing your way through commit history will not be an easy task.

I think instead it should be checking all commits, it often makes sense to
break work into logical chunks - often it is easier to review commit by
commit.

As an example it is a bad practice to bump a subsystem version and add to
it within a single commit, GitHub provides no way to diff files like
schemas when that happens so the only way to check is to pull the PR
locally and manually diff. I suspect the manual diff is a very rare event
if it happens at all.  Component upgrades whilst could be in a single
commit often make sense to be in individual commits.  When working on an
issue and encountering a related but different bug it makes sense to use a
separate Jira issue and commit, it is not always practical to submit this
fix in it's own PR.  If working on a piece of work and another engineer
also follows on you need to ensure you don't modify any shared commits
etc...

Overall the human code review is still mandatory and part of that review
would consider the commits and if they make sense.

I think something that could be useful could be to list the checks to be
applied somewhere to make it easier to discuss individually, as this would
be a change to the WildFly Core and WildFly pull requests it could even
make sense to submit as a proposal to the wildfly-proposals repo.

> > What happens if it is down?  I figure nothing really, i.e. the check
> just isn't performed, which is a quite reasonable failure mode. :)
>
> > AIUI this also has no impact on ability to merge PRs; i.e. we can
> ignore the result same as we can ignore CI job results. Also good.
>
> Absolutely right. There will be only one additional status in the list.
> Everything can be ignored.

Absolutely everything we add to the status list we should be aiming to be
accurate, CI is complex and a never ending task to keep on top of
intermittent issues and flaky tests but the objective is still to reach
that point.  We should not be adding something else to this list
deliberately with false negative reviews.