[wildfly-dev] WFCORE-4807 - Log Routing

James Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 13:12:52 EDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 9:32 AM Brian Stansberry <
brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:

> FWIW there are 3 options:
>
> 1) Default on.
> 2) Default off, not specified in standard configs.
> 3) Default off, but set to on in standard configs.
>
> The distinction between 1 and 3 is people bringing an existing config do
> not see a behavior change.

Yes. What I have locally is a config option. I'm starting to think 3 is the
best option.

> No matter which we do we should aim to get this in very early in a release
> dev cycle so we have time to notice any odd impacts.
>
> Do you have any thoughts on how we can look for odd impacts?  IIRC the odd
> impact would be stuff we expect to appear in the server.log no longer
> appearing there.

The only thing I can think of would be creating a deployment with it's own
logging configuration and examining the logs. Essentially any time anything
is logged with the deployments class loader it would end up in the
deployments log configuration. Assuming of course the deployment is using
some sort of per-deployment logging.

It's definitely a change in behavior which is why I'm starting to think we
should default to off.

--
James R. Perkins