[aerogear-dev] UPS UX updates

Hylke Bons hbons at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 09:07:14 EDT 2014

Hey,

On 26/03/2014 09:44, Sebastien Blanc wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Matthias Wessendorf
> <matzew at apache.org <mailto:matzew at apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     As said before: overall they are really looking very great and
>     modern! I really like them.
>
>     A few questions on some of the screens:
>
>     * applications.png
>     List ("table") of all Push Applications:
>     - Is there no side bar for this?

I left out the sidebar in a couple of screens for time reasons. The
sidebar when realised will be on every screen just like the header.

>     * application-details-blue.png
>     It's the details of one application, and has overview of all its
>     variants.
>     - Is the plan to list all variants on their platform? Instead of
>     having a table? I do like that grouping! Just wondering :-)
>
> I also like the grouping but when we will introduce paging, it will be
> paging per groups ? Not sure how UX friendly that will be.

Yea, it makes much more sense to do variant grouping by platform than
just having one huge table like we had previously. Paging will happen
per platform "group".

>     - When I click on a certain variant (e.g. the "Demo" variant of
>     the iOS section ), there is no separate page/view for its'
>     details? Like its installations ? I'd really prefer to have a
>     page/view for all the details of a certain variant. Also the code
>     snippets for a variant is missing
>

> I also like it this way, all the info needed can fit and not sure if
> we want to navigate to another page jsut for the details (For editing
> yes => other page).

A problem with this was that the Application Details page looked too
much like the Variant Details page. It's convenient to have all the
needed actions and code snippets, for sending notifications and
registering installations, one a single page. Why do you like having a
separate Variant Details page?

> The Code Snippets : Yeah A button/link would be needed

This are the "What's this for?" links. We might want to reconsider the
name for that.

>     - Sidebar: is that specific to an application? See notes on
>     "applications.png"
>     - The "Notifications" on the sidebar, what's that?
>     - What's the "gear-wheel" for ?

The gear menu will have contextual actions like "Rename" and "Delete".
It's less cluttered than having them as links or icons on every row.

>     * "dialogs.png"
>     - For an application construct, that's good enough; Creating a
>     variant is a bit more complex (see current UI)
>     - Is there no side bar for this?
>

> I assume that for delete app/variant or reset id/secrets we will use
> the same dialogs
>

>     * installations.png
>     - Is there no side bar for this?
>     - If I understand the view/page correctly, its a list of ALL
>     installations for one PushApplication. However, we should list the
>     variants PER variant (see current UI).  The Navigation path on the
>     bread-crumbs would be "Applications >> Mobile HR >> Demo (iOS) >>
>     Installations (number)"
>
> +1 but I think that was also Hylke's initial idea  because on the
> application details screen you see that the link to installations is
> on the  "variant" level. I think it was just a glitch in his bread-crumbs.

I wasn't too sure about what we could do here. In some cases it's good
to have installations per variant, in others you want to see them per
application. We could have both: every installation number shown in the
group rows will be links to per variant installations. the "total" link
at the top would link to a table will all the installations for the
application.

Hylke