[Hawkular-dev] Merging of own pull-requests ( please don't )

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 12:28:00 EDT 2016

Hey,

I want to remind everyone (including myself :-) that one should not merge
ones own pull-requests (and also abstain from directly committing to master).

There are many reasons why this is good practice

- peer review finds issues
- peer review allows discussions on the concrete implementation of
  a bugfix/feature request
- other findings can be addressed in the same pull-request and do
  not need a subsequent one.
- It gives oneself some time to reflect what was done.
- It gives time to also add this one little file that was not git-add'ed

I totally understand that we are in some areas rather thin on developers
(Juca's work on hawkular-services and accounts come to mind) and that
there are always situations where a direct commit or self-merged PR is
needed. But it should not be the default.

I do not want us to get to a structure where only a handful of managers
have push rights to force this above mentioned peer review.

Thanks
  Heiko